The Castle As Weapon
Here are my notes from the video "Secrets of Lost Empires II: Medieval Siege". How do they compare with yours?
What is a SIEGE? A prolonged, sustained attack on a stationary military position designed to force the defender to surrender either
What features of a castle were designed for defense?
- Built on rocky crags
- Built along natural water or water (moats, lakes) added
- Loop holes in wall for firing arrows
- Portcullis (gate)
- Series of walls, each higher than the previous
- Crenellations along the tops of the walls
How could attackers defeat a well-defended castle?
- Treachery--get a spy into the castle to sabotage
- Wheeled towers
- Battering rams
Castles were built as "nails holding the landscape down"; they were centralized staging areas for military campaigns
The real success of capturing a castle is credited not to the knights, but to the engineers.